With the new year upon us many of us are looking for ways to update a room with paint or with other decorative ideas. Many times this is to get the house ready to sell, but other times it is just because it is time to update or they are ready for a new look. What ever the reason paint is always a great and inexpensive way to update a room. Here are the basic steps that it takes to paint a room.
1. Gather all the supplies that you need. Purchase paint and primer, get drop cloths, make sure you have paint rollers and brushes, even a stick to stir the paint so that it is well blended. a lot of paint departments have kits that you can buy that have the basic materials needed to do the job.
2. Clear the room. Remove furniture either from the room or move it away from the area as far away as you can. Take pictures off the walls that are being painted and make as much space as possible so that you are less likely to get any paint on places that you do not want.
3. Clear the walls. Remove nails, fill holes, patch rough areas and blend them in as much as possible.
4. Remove hardware. Remove switch plates and outlet covers, hinges and knobs and anything that is easily removable that might get in the way of painting.
5. Tape. With good painters masking tape, AKA the blue tape, tape off all areas that you do not want paint on. Use short pieces over lapping so that you get a good straight line and it is easier to work with.
6. Lay down the cloth. Lay drop clothes over anything that you down no want paint to get on, the floor or even furniture that you were unable to remove from the room.
7. Prime it. If you have any walls that have not been painted or even an area that you patched that has not had paint on it the best thing that you can do is prime it. It will save you a lot of frustration and heart ache if you take the time to prime.
8. Paint it. Paint over lapping strokes that cover the area you wish to paint. With either dark colors or super light colors you many times will want to paint a couple of layers. Between the layers you will want to want and let the first layer dry.
9. Clean up. After the paint is dry you can remove the painters clothes and tape and reset the room. just remember that a lot of times it takes a couple of days for it to cure so you will want to avoid bumping it too hard.