About this time many people are trying to set a New Years resolution. They vary quite a bit, from losing weight to paying down debt, quitting smoking to buying a new house. What would be your top resolution for today? Would it maybe include selling your current home and upgrading to a newer and larger one? We have comprised a list of things that you can do to accomplish that.
1. Clean up your current property- we have previously written a list of the things that you can do to get your house ready to sell. Now is the time to pull that list out, clean, paint and de-clutter. Take care of the little projects so that the new owner can look at it and say that it is move in ready. Brighten up your rooms with a little paint and clean windows, inside and out. Remove a lot of personal effects so that they can pictures themselves in the house.
2. Clean up your finances- Sit down with a lender and figure out how much home you can afford. Look at any outstanding debts and loans and take care of them so that you can afford the house you want. Make sure that you pay your bills on time and your credit report is accurate. Take care of any discrepancies right away.
3. Get a hold of a great Realtor- Find one who comes highly recommended and can list your current home and help your to find your dream home. Have them tell you what things you can do to accomplish your goal of a newer and larger home. A great Realtor can be one of the biggest helps you can get.
4. Write a list- write down the amenities and qualities that you are looking forward to in a house. What items are the biggest priority to you? Location? Size? Age of home? Size of property? Putting them into some type of order can also help if you have to compromise on any of the amenities.
5. Start looking at new homes in the price range and with the amenities that you are looking for. Again, a great Realtor can help you with these things.
So here is to your New Years Resolution whether it includes purchasing a new home or losing a little bit of weight!